Monday, January 31, 2011

Reflection, week three


a. At what moment did you feel most engaged with what you were learning?  Be specific.  Was it while reading, writing for the online discussion forum, while thinking about the class, or while talking to others about it?   Why was this the moment when you felt most engaged?
I felt most engaged while reading my committee’s essay “what is an American?”   It is great to know and learn what everyone’s opinion’s are about what it meant to be an American.  I also liked writing the comments and the discussion forum, genre of ghost thrill stories.
 b. How do you feel when you post your work and an audience outside of a professor reads and comments on it?  Does it change how or what you write?  It is nice to get comments on my work from anyone; it helps me to improve my writing skills.  So far I didn’t get a comment on my blog site but will read the committee’s comments.
c. What action did the professors or another student take that you found most helpful or affirming?
Currently there is none but I hope for the future.
d. What action did anyone take that you found most puzzling or confusing?  Why?  How did you overcome your confusion?  I was confused about the assignment to read my “big picture” essay for the week?  It might be a simple thing but I thought was confusing to me because I couldn’t find the reading.  I will ask Dr. Brandon in class.
e. What about the reading and discussion has surprised you?
The discussion didn’t surprise me but I had to read some of Poe’s work and biography to be familiar and write on the discussion forum.  The reading as always cannot understand because of the style of writing but I try anyways.
f. What new thoughts did you have about being an American from writing on the subject and reading the essays of your committee members?  What did you think about that you hadn’t thought for a long time?  
 I don’t have any new thoughts about being an American but as I was writing a lot of thoughts came to mind that I didn’t think about lately.  Reading my committees essay was a great way to have a diverse opinion of what it meant to be an American.  It helped to express a common share of our opinions whether it is positive or negative.   I wasn’t born in the U.S. but I am a naturalized citizen, so being an American Citizen means a lot to me.  I always thought about it but never expressed it out loud or in writing until now.    

No comments:

Post a Comment