Sunday, December 19, 2010

Here today gone tomorrow? A destination to visit before it disappears, Venice







There are so many ancient historical cities and natures own beautiful places that attract tourists and travelers in the world.  My dream is to go to Venice, Italy for a romantic travel getaway.  There a lot of activity and things to do, where I have seen on pictures and travel guides of world trek.  I want to visit the historical sites and the food, culture, night life, and the amazing gondolas. 

I would like to make my dream vacation a real experience one day before it is too late.  According to travel expert Holms, “A jewel of a city audaciously built on 118 tiny islands and a network of waterways, Venice is an imperiled treasure that stubbornly endures.  Due to the plodding geological shifts of the continents, the city is sinking at a rate of two and a half inches per decade.  A watery demise for Venice by the end of the century may be inevitable” (Helmuth, et al., 2008).

 Of course, there are many other natural wonders of the world that may be deteriorating other than Venice, it may be from pollution or just worn down as time passes.  Holmes Explain, “But it is hard to imagine impending doom when you first encounter this enchanting Italian city.  With its maze of narrow streets, hundreds of bridges and dozens of canals linking its magnificent architecture and art, even a wrong turn can be thrilling” (Helmuth, et al., 2008). 

 I agree as well, many people in the world including me, who like art and architectures want to preserve this water surrounded city.  Travel expert Holms explain, “Many people are determined to save it.  From a multibillion dollar to install mobile floodgates to strengthening erosion barriers, the rescue mission has become an international effort” (Helmuth, et al., 2008). 

The work has already begun, and the city of Venice is currently under some construction.  Still it is a tourist attraction and will be even better when the rebuilding work is done.  I will be fulfilling one of my dreams when I travel to Venice, Italy.   It is on my “bucket list” one of the places I want to see before I die.



Helmuth, L., et al., (2008). 28 Places to see before you die.  (Cover story).  Smithsonian, 38(10), 78-93.  Retrieved December 12, 2010, from: the Academic Search Complete Database.

Image,(n.d.), Google images.com. Venice images. 1-8.  Retrieved December 12, 2010, from: http://www.google.com/images/venice.




No comments:

Post a Comment