Monday, March 7, 2011

Mid-Term portfolio’s cover essay (Draft)


     


I have come a long way since I started this class.  My thoughts about taking American lit class have changed now than when I registered for the class.  The reason is I did not think reading the material or getting the context and style of early American Lit. to be very difficult.   I also thought writing about what I read would be difficult to do since I have to read it repeatedly and sometimes I still don’t get it.   
Dr. Brandon made it easier, interesting and fun to learn.  I have options to the assigned reading sometimes to have a voice recorded narration and I follow by reading the text.  It makes it fun, easy and faster than I would read.  I also like to do research online to get a better understanding of the different topics we are reading about and the Author.  I get motivated to read when Dr. Brandon reads to us in Class with the interpretations of some words and sentences. After class I sometimes reread it again so I get the point or ideals.  It feels like watching a movie preview and then watching the whole movie.  The reading in the class (preview) gives me an idea or a sneak peek of what the reading (movie) is about and then the reading (movie) gets to the point (whole story.)
My performance at the beginning of the course was good in following up the assignments and completed on time.  My reading, writing and thinking critically has improved over the second half of the course.  I understand and I learned that by missing one week’s assignment I was left behind and was working hard to get caught up with reading and writing.  I want to improve on completing my weekly assignments on time to make progress and manage stress.  I have work, family and friends to spend some time when I am free in addition to taking three classes.  
 I have to schedule a time for doing my homework balances my life without procrastination.  It is challenging but I am performing better than I thought in this class.  I really like the creativity of writing about my own life on my blog post as well as the Nature experience on discussion forum after a walk in the wilderness (park) to feel the natural surrounding and self realization of the present moment.  I also believe it is true and I agree with Thoreau’s easy “” maybe not like him but some sort of similar ideals.  Reminds me of how I was brought up to learn to live with what I have and focus mainly on the needs in life but not mainly the wants or materials.   
I was truly confused on where and what to start writing about “what is an American” essay to a possible immigrant.  There are so many things to write about but I had to generalize and add some details to get to the point.  I know I would have appreciated it if someone could have written a letter to me before I came to America.  It gave me some understanding of the great and the bad things most immigrants don’t know until they experience it themselves just as De Crevecoeur’s tells us on his letter to an American Farmer.  It is great to know and learn what everyone’s opinion’s are about what it meant to be an American.  While reading my committee’s essay “what is an American?”   It is great to know and learn what everyone’s opinion’s are about what it meant to be an American.
 I had to read some of Poe’s work and biography to be familiar with the Author and write on the discussion forum.  The reading as always cannot understand because of the style of writing but Poe’s way of writing is a little better than Thoreau’s but I try anyways.   I also liked writing comments about Poe’s work on the discussion forum, genre of ghost thrill stories.   Illegal immigration to the U.S. from South America, Cuba and especially Mexico.  The issue on illegal immigration divided Americans to what is the right thing to do to stop it and find a solution. There are some pros and cons of this issue. 
I felt most engaged while reading "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl" by Harriet Jacob, also replying my comments and opinions on the discussion forum about slavery.  This is the moment I felt most engaged when reading my classmates comments, personal opinions about slavery and Dr. Brandon's response to explain or comment on my reply.   I gained some insight to how slavery was really like and most importantly I learned by reading the participating in the discussion forum.  I was touched and was emotional by the true story of a slave writer by Harriet Jacobs, “Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl”  
 Current social practice in the U.S., I chose to write on my blog post about Illegal immigration from South America, Cuba and especially Mexico.  The issue on illegal immigration divided Americans to what is the right thing to do to stop it and find a solution. There are some pros and cons of this issue but it is time if the government makes a solid decision to resolve it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment